Can switching to a data science career lead to better salary growth compared with staying in a BPO role?
Share your experiences, salary insights, and career transition advice to help others considering a similar move.
It can, but I wouldn’t switch from BPO to Data Science with the expectation of an immediate salary increase. Your salary after the transition will depend on your skills, experience, location, company, and the type of Data Science role you land.
The bigger advantage for me is the long-term career growth. Data Science can help you build technical skills in Python, SQL, statistics, machine learning, and data analysis, which can open up different career opportunities as you gain experience.
Your BPO experience isn’t wasted either. Experience with processes, customer data, KPIs, and business operations can be useful when applying your new technical skills to real-world problems.
So, think of the switch as BPO experience + Data Science skills, rather than starting your career from scratch.
I can understand why you’d be wondering about the salary—especially when you’re considering leaving a field where you already have experience. The switch can pay off, but I wouldn’t expect the salary to jump immediately.
If you’re moving into Data Science without direct experience, you might have to start with a junior role. But your BPO experience definitely isn’t useless. KPIs, reports, customer data, process metrics, and problem-solving are all transferable skills.
I’d focus on adding SQL, Python, statistics, and machine learning, along with a few practical projects. The bigger salary growth usually comes after you’ve gained some actual experience in analytics or Data Science.