Back

6 LEARNING STRATEGIES FOR EFFECTIVE LEARNING

Created 3 years ago
29 Comments
DIVYARAWAT
@DIVYARAWAT
DIVYARAWAT
@DIVYARAWATProfile is locked. Login

We all want to learn faster and more effectively. Sometimes, inspite of working for long hours we find out that we have not actually understood the matter. It happens with me more often than not, so I thought of researching on effective learning strategies, and here is what I found-

1. SPACED PRACTICE

Space out your studying over time.

Far too many students wait until the night before a test to study for it. Similarly, teachers often wait until the day before a test to review. When enough students score well on the test, it appears they have learned the material. But a few weeks later, most of that information has vanished from students’ minds. For more durable learning, the studying has to take place in smaller chunks over time.

2. RETRIEVAL PRACTICE

Practice bringing information to mind without the help of materials.

Many people think of “studying” as simply re-reading notes, textbooks, or other materials. But having the information right in front of us doesn’t force us to retrieve it from memory; instead, it allows us to trick ourselves into thinking we know something. Recalling information without supporting materials helps us learn it much more effectively.

3. ELABORATION

Explain and describe ideas with many details.

This method asks students to go beyond simple recall of information and start making connections within the content. Students should ask themselves open-ended questions about the material, answer in as much detail as possible, then check the materials to make sure their understanding is correct.

4. INTERLEAVING

Switch between ideas while you study.

Common knowledge tells us that to learn a skill, we should practice it over and over again. While repetition is vital, research says we will actually learn that skill more effectively if we mix our practice of it with other skills. This is known as interleaving.

For example, if you are practicing python and doing a bunch of beginner-level problems, for example finding a palindrome of a word, try switching it up and do intermediate or advanced level problems in the middle.

5. CONCRETE EXAMPLES

Use specific examples to understand abstract ideas.

Most teachers already use this strategy in their own teaching; it’s a natural part of explaining a new concept. But what we don’t necessarily do is help students extend their understanding by coming up with examples of their own. 

6. DUAL CODING

Combine words and visuals.

When information is presented to us, it is often accompanied by some kind of visual: An image, a chart or graph, or a graphic organizer. When students are studying, they should make it a habit to pay attention to those visuals and link them to the text by explaining what they mean in their own words. Then, students can create their own visuals of the concepts they are learning. This process reinforces the concepts in the brain through two different paths, making them easier to retrieve later.

These strategies have helped in propelling my learning incredibly. I hope they help you too.

Happy learning!

Comments (29)