GUVI
Back

Given the growth of auto machine learning is a formal education and statistics or analytics still necessary? What's your opinion as an educator?

Created 3 years ago
0 Comments
Guvigeek
@Guvigeek
Guvigeek
@GuvigeekProfile is locked. Login

So I think we discussed auto ml before. There are ml techniques being used to automate the process of, for example, hyper parameter tuning. And as I said, this is an interesting area, an extension of auto ml is the area called neural architecture search, where in the entire architecture of a neural network itself is being searched by a machine learning model. And that is gaining popularity, by the way, but what we find is that these methods are computationally extremely expensive. And they can only be afforded by a few large companies. And so whereas if you're trying to train a simple model somewhere, it is much better to be using your own intuition, your own knowledge to do it. But things could change, maybe auto ml becomes more efficient in the future. But this does not mean that the basic understanding of statistics, probability, linear algebra, optimization, calculus, all these things do not go away. Because who is going to be good at using these tools? If there's something like auto ml, only a person who understands these basic ideas would be good at using these tools, right? And so though the tools may evolve, the methodology may evolve. I think, knowing these things, Well, today should be the first attempt, right. And I would also add to that, since you asked about opinion, as an educator, I think the main thing I would say now is that we are all forever lifelong students, there may be times when you did decrease until 20 and then work for 40 years that is fine. Today, everybody is required to continue learning throughout their careers or their lifetimes, and technology is going to rapidly evolve and people must continue to upgrade as they go. So, this is a given, I think we should all be ready to do this. But within that, today, wherever we are in deep learning and data science, understanding that it is very important.

Comments